View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 06 May 2024, 04:55

Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Artwork for Agents needed 
Communications Officer
Communications Officer

Kenneth_of_Borg wrote:
Could not find a good image of Lovok, the Romulan Changeling from DS9.
I haven't been following this thread much, but what's wrong with the image in:
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Lovok

"Seize the time, Meribor. Live now; make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again" -- Picard (The Inner Light)

29 Jan 2013, 21:40
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
I can photoshop it a bit. The original is dark and small.

Attachments:
Changeling Five.png
Changeling Five.png [ 38.88 KiB | Viewed 12270 times ]
Lovok.png
Lovok.png [ 38.88 KiB | Viewed 12271 times ]

29 Jan 2013, 22:06
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Picard

Attachments:
Picard.png
Picard.png [ 37.86 KiB | Viewed 12250 times ]

30 Jan 2013, 14:57
Admiral
Admiral

Kenneth_of_Borg wrote:
My suggestion for the Dominion is to clone the photos the way the Vorta are cloned and Jem'Hadar are hatched. For example we find more photos of Weyoun and number them. My Weyoun above is called "Weyoun One" and this could be Weyoun Two.

We could also use 3D programs to expand the selection of Changelings.

We could also use Changelings looking like other major races as when they replace characters seen in DS9.

Not really good ideas IMO.
Neither cloning photos left and right (what's the point really?), nor using images for replaced characters (which might be confusing). I'd KISS.

(re the latter, the pic we have for the Malurians [which won't be in the game, so I'll just remove it], it's actually the malurian guy in disguise as an Akaali, which is silly)

30 Jan 2013, 15:58
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Iceman wrote:
Kenneth_of_Borg wrote:
My suggestion for the Dominion is to clone the photos the way the Vorta are cloned and Jem'Hadar are hatched. For example we find more photos of Weyoun and number them. My Weyoun above is called "Weyoun One" and this could be Weyoun Two.

We could also use 3D programs to expand the selection of Changelings.

We could also use Changelings looking like other major races as when they replace characters seen in DS9.

Not really good ideas IMO.
Neither cloning photos left and right (what's the point really?), nor using images for replaced characters (which might be confusing). I'd KISS.

(re the latter, the pic we have for the Malurians [which won't be in the game, so I'll just remove it], it's actually the malurian guy in disguise as an Akaali, which is silly)

How do you suggest we deal with the limited number of Dominion agents? That is the point, the issue, we are trying to deal with. If Mike has a way to code for fewer agents in that race we are good. If not we have to find a way to make more than we have so far.

Attachments:
Sisko.png
Sisko.png [ 43.07 KiB | Viewed 12238 times ]
Janeway.png
Janeway.png [ 47.04 KiB | Viewed 12240 times ]

30 Jan 2013, 18:38
Crazed Emissary of the Photoshop

I'm pretty sure I can Photoshop any of us into a changeling, or at least die trying :D :D

30 Jan 2013, 18:57
Profile YIM WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

:klingon: :jemhadar:

Attachments:
Kilana Three.png
Kilana Three.png [ 41.34 KiB | Viewed 12258 times ]
Worf.png
Worf.png [ 62.96 KiB | Viewed 12260 times ]

30 Jan 2013, 21:17
Genetically Altered Manual Labourer
Genetically Altered Manual Labourer

Location: Passed out on the floor after math mistake discovered by Hawking
Since changlings can look like anyone else, it makes sense to use other characters from other races as the agents. There wouldn't be confusion because you would know you are playing as the Dominion. The agent would just have a Founder name. In fact, that could be part of the interest in playing as the Dominion - you need to assign the agent that looks Klingon (he is good at taking on Klingon features), to the Klingons etc. That agent would be the most effective there. You could assign another (They are changlings after all) but they might not be as good at escaping detection.

Just a thought.

30 Jan 2013, 21:29
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Captain Bashir wrote:
Since changlings can look like anyone else, it makes sense to use other characters from other races as the agents. There wouldn't be confusion because you would know you are playing as the Dominion. The agent would just have a Founder name. In fact, that could be part of the interest in playing as the Dominion - you need to assign the agent that looks Klingon (he is good at taking on Klingon features), to the Klingons etc. That agent would be the most effective there. You could assign another (They are changlings after all) but they might not be as good at escaping detection.

Just a thought.

Facinating!

Attachments:
Sarek.png
Sarek.png [ 43.28 KiB | Viewed 12250 times ]
Data.png
Data.png [ 41.53 KiB | Viewed 12252 times ]
Spock.png
Spock.png [ 52.93 KiB | Viewed 12256 times ]

30 Jan 2013, 22:04

We have a random event called Discovery of Data, should that random event give Data as an agent to a random empire?

31 Jan 2013, 00:53
Profile YIM WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

O'Brien

Attachments:
O'Brien.png
O'Brien.png [ 31.71 KiB | Viewed 12240 times ]

31 Jan 2013, 04:00
Admiral
Admiral

Kenneth_of_Borg wrote:
How do you suggest we deal with the limited number of Dominion agents? That is the point, the issue, we are trying to deal with. If Mike has a way to code for fewer agents in that race we are good. If not we have to find a way to make more than we have so far.

Not sure what you mean. He doesn't need to code anything in particular. The number of agents we add to the data files is the number of agents the game will use as the available pool. There really isn't an issue, and we don't need to create one. If the Dominion has fewer Agents, is that really a problem? They also have a different gameplay style, this is just part of it.

31 Jan 2013, 11:10

We could also put a limit on the number of active agents so it wouldn't matter how many we have in the database, races with more agents will just have more diversity.

31 Jan 2013, 12:07
Profile YIM WWW
Admiral
Admiral

If you read the first page of this thread, one of my posts quotes, among other things, the max number of active agents per empire. It's currently set at 8. Not that the games is actually enforcing it already, but provisions have already been made.

31 Jan 2013, 15:39
Admiral
Admiral

Captain Bashir wrote:
Since changlings can look like anyone else, it makes sense to use other characters from other races as the agents.

Not really. The changeling is still the changeling, it's not like he/she had plastic surgery. And remember that you will be able to change assignments.
And, since they're replacing someone else, that means we wouldn't be able to use that someone else in their respective empire.

Quote:
There wouldn't be confusion because you would know you are playing as the Dominion.

If you're familiar with the Star Trek universe. Hopefully, our audience will be much wider than that.

Quote:
The agent would just have a Founder name.

That doesn't make any sense. He has a Founder name but a pic from another race? What's the criteria here? Surely he won't be called by his Founder name when undercover or whatever.

Quote:
In fact, that could be part of the interest in playing as the Dominion - you need to assign the agent that looks Klingon (he is good at taking on Klingon features), to the Klingons etc. That agent would be the most effective there. You could assign another (They are changlings after all) but they might not be as good at escaping detection.

I don't see the interest, since the changelings can take any form. And it makes those agents less flexible. If I only have a Klingon changeling and I've only met the Romulans... :hmm:

31 Jan 2013, 15:47

Iceman wrote:
If you read the first page of this thread, one of my posts quotes, among other things, the max number of active agents per empire. It's currently set at 8. Not that the games is actually enforcing it already, but provisions have already been made.

And is that final? Will it be enough since agents will have various roles and stats...I never take anything in this game as final since everything gets changed all the time. I have no time or patience for anything like this...simple yes/no/it is planned... will do from now on. I can't concentrate or remember everything anyone said, I'm working on four big exams atm and I managed to do over a 150 agent images, a little appreciation would be nice...or simply a normal communication.

31 Jan 2013, 16:49
Profile YIM WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Thanks for all your hard work Vjeko.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

I know other would help too, and do it without finding fault in everything you do, if only we had half your talent.

31 Jan 2013, 20:00
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Here is an update from Mike on what is needed for the agents.

"I haven't come up with an exact number, but we should try to come up with a dozen (or more, if possible) agents of the appropriate race(s) for each empire. We can also have several "common" agents that can be recruited by any empire (Alien freelancers of a sort)."

So we need a new set of common agents. Best we use aliens other than the major races to avoid new reason to find fault.

Attachments:
Etanajol.png
Etanajol.png [ 38.48 KiB | Viewed 12187 times ]
Degra.png
Degra.png [ 37.21 KiB | Viewed 12187 times ]
Quark.png
Quark.png [ 48.56 KiB | Viewed 12192 times ]

31 Jan 2013, 20:48

Should the Federation have only human agents then? I mean it's a bit funny having other races as agents before you even discover them and specially of they aren't on the map.

31 Jan 2013, 22:56
Profile YIM WWW
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

vjeko1701 wrote:
Should the Federation have only human agents then? I mean it's a bit funny having other races as agents before you even discover them and specially of they aren't on the map.

eh, it's like that in most 4X games that have 'heros' or 'leaders' (MoO2, Endless Space, etc.). It's actually not that strange if you think about it. People will presumably migrate around the galaxy much like they move between countries and continents here on Earth. It's entirely possible for one member of a species to end up living and working among foreigners before contact has been made between the two respective governments. Odo worked for the Cardassians, Bajorans, and Federation before any of them came to know about the Dominion.

31 Jan 2013, 23:01
Profile WWW

Good point, we should still keep the aliens at minimum. Also I was thinking, what if membering a race could give you agents among other things. I don't know what you envisioned with common agents but every race could have 1,2,5,10 depending on what we decide, number of agents that would add to your pool, IMO a good additional feature of the minors...

31 Jan 2013, 23:07
Profile YIM WWW
Admiral
Admiral

That has actually been suggested before, as a way to make minors more interesting.

Kenneth, IIRC those pics are already being used for the minor race images (except for Quark?).

01 Feb 2013, 09:41
Cadet
Cadet

Greetings everyone. Blaze Lee Dragon here. I did the voices in Kenneth's intro videos and some in game voices.

I was talking with him about other things I might do to help with the game. I'm fairly handy in blender, though by no means a pro.

He suggested I try my hand and modeling a head, here is my attempt at a changeling. Using Odo for reference. I don't have the hair, color, back ground or uniform, but since I did bout 4 days of work I figure upload it before I put to much more into it and get an opinion if my work might be usable or not.

06 Jun 2013, 21:32
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

That looks like a good start Blaze.

The ears will need more depth to them and the chin points and extends too far out. That should be easy to fix. These human models are really complex. I think making a sphere for the eyeballs will help as well.

If you do it high poly enough you should be able to paint the texture right onto the model in blender. That may still not prove to be high enough resolution enough for our needs. If that is the case there are some tutorials I recall on unwrapping the head for texture mapping. You start with a vertical seam in the back. By mapping a high res image you can put in things like photo real eyes, skin and lips. Mapping a sphere for the eyeballs will be easier than the rest of the face.

06 Jun 2013, 22:01
Cadet
Cadet

Kenneth_of_Borg wrote:
That looks like a good start Blaze.

The ears will need more depth to them and the chin points and extends too far out. That should be easy to fix. These human models are really complex. I think making a sphere for the eyeballs will help as well.

If you do it high poly enough you should be able to paint the texture right onto the model in blender. That may still not prove to be high enough resolution enough for our needs. If that is the case there are some tutorials I recall on unwrapping the head for texture mapping. You start with a vertical seam in the back. By mapping a high res image you can put in things like photo real eyes, skin and lips. Mapping a sphere for the eyeballs will be easier than the rest of the face.

I did use spheres for the eyes :S

yeah I wasn't sure about the ears myself. I'll thickening them up, and work no the chin.

i've done a few unwraps but not so good at texturing from scratch. I may look up some tutorials and see what it says. for background I was thinking of maybe just placing a blank plane and using a photo of the inside of dominion bridge or something.

06 Jun 2013, 22:52
Profile WWW
Cadet
Cadet

06 Jun 2013, 23:06
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Below is an image of a model available on blender swap. It appears rather photo real. That is where we are trying to go with this as images we already have are photos of real actors from Star Trek.
The model is found here at blenderswap:
http://www.blendswap.com/
More human models here:
http://artist-3d.com/free_3d_models/02anatomy_design.php

Here is an intro to mapping textures:
http://cgcookie.com/blender/2011/01/21/intro_uvmapping/

This looks like a good human head tutorial here, start to finish:
http://cgcookie.com/blender/series/creating-a-realistic-head/
here is one on projection painting
http://software-tips.wonderhowto.com/how-to/texture-head-with-projection-painting-blender-377647/

The changelings in the more base state, like Odo, do have those simplified ears, nose and lips. That should make it easier than say trying
to look as good as a photo of Captain Picard. The background might be the Great Link on the Dominion home world.

Attachments:
jpbouza_blenrig_zepam1_small_9d79269b4fdd8d807efd28c63d7d57d14ee1e656.jpg
jpbouza_blenrig_zepam1_small_9d79269b4fdd8d807efd28c63d7d57d14ee1e656.jpg [ 7.49 KiB | Viewed 11806 times ]

07 Jun 2013, 00:47
Cadet
Cadet

Kenneth_of_Borg wrote:
Below is an image of a model available on blender swap. It appears rather photo real. That is where we are trying to go with this as images we already have are photos of real actors from Star Trek.
The model is found here at blenderswap:
http://www.blendswap.com/
More human models here:
http://artist-3d.com/free_3d_models/02anatomy_design.php

Here is an intro to mapping textures:
http://cgcookie.com/blender/2011/01/21/intro_uvmapping/

This looks like a good human head tutorial here, start to finish:
http://cgcookie.com/blender/series/creating-a-realistic-head/
here is one on projection painting
http://software-tips.wonderhowto.com/how-to/texture-head-with-projection-painting-blender-377647/

The changelings in the more base state, like Odo, do have those simplified ears, nose and lips. That should make it easier than say trying
to look as good as a photo of Captain Picard. The background might be the Great Link on the Dominion home world.

wow...yeah I've never done anything that good... :S

07 Jun 2013, 02:42
Profile WWW
Admiral
Admiral

Great start!

--

BTW, I've added a bunch more agent pics, mostly Jem'Hadar and a couple Vorta, and a few other. We have plenty of Dominion agents now.

07 Jun 2013, 10:17
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Iceman wrote:
Great start!

--

BTW, I've added a bunch more agent pics, mostly Jem'Hadar and a couple Vorta, and a few other. We have plenty of Dominion agents now.

Well if you are saying we have enough Dominion agents, that you have added but not posted here, can Blaze use those blender swap models to make minor race agents?

07 Jun 2013, 14:13
Reply to topic   [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next